In May 2017 the Commissioners Court Facilities Management presented the result of a study showing that a larger parking facility was needed. The new Bexar County Parking Garage will have seven floors of parking with 740 parking spaces and a 36,000 square foot office space on the ground floor. This office space will be shared by the Bexar County Information Technology Department and a Wellness Center and the garage will be for Bexar County employees only.
The foundation used for this building is a suspended post-tension slab on piers. The Last Planner System and TouchPlan will be implemented for scheduling and the day-to-day activities of the project. In addition to the Last Planner System, Plan Grid will also be used.
There will be many challenges on this project including, but not limited to:
- Bringing a new power service into the sub-basement level of the Archives Building and routing it up to the new Garage
- Bringing water service to the new Garage through the existing Archives Building
- Managing street closures for the delivery and erection of the garage while still maintaining access to neighboring businesses and residences
- Getting 750+ pre-cast concrete pieces to the site
- Building an 8-story structure six-feet from an occupied building
- Working closely with four other contractors who are working on large projects in the vicinity
- Doing construction in downtown San Antonio with busy streets on three sides as well as companies and other civic buildings