The 18,000 square foot higher education international sports athletics facility includes eight fencing strips, practice strips, spectator and exercise areas, a men’s and women’s locker room, a gymnasium with basketball and volleyball capabilities, an international sports area for badminton and table tennis and an armory. Half of the facility was built on elevated slabs to make room for an underground parking structure. The structure is a traditional metal building, but incorporated CMU backing and brick veneer to provide additional structural support and an enhancement to the aesthetics that traditional metal buildings normally lack.
University of the Incarnate Word Fencing School
Higher Ed | San Antonio
- Project Scope 27,820 SF Fencing & International Sports Center
- Completion Date January 2013
- Owner University of the Incarnate Word
- Architect McChesney Bianco
- 2013 ABC Excellence in Construction Award