In May 2017, the Commissioners Court Facilities Management presented a study showing that Bexar County staff needed a larger parking facility. The new Bexar County Parking Garage has seven floors of parking with 740 parking spaces and a 36,000 SF office space on the ground floor. The project replaced an existing surface parking lot at 126 E. Nueva St., just behind the Bexar County Archives Building.
The ground floor office space is shared by the Bexar County Information Technology Department and a Wellness Center, and the garage is for Bexar County employees only.
The foundation used for this building is a suspended post-tension slab on piers.
Some of the challenges on this project included:
- Bringing a new power service into the sub-basement level of the Archives Building and routing it up to the new Garage
- Bringing water service to the new Garage through the existing Archives Building
- Managing street closures for the delivery and erection of the garage while still maintaining access to neighboring businesses and residences.
- Getting 750+ pre-cast concrete pieces to the site
- Building an 8-story structure six-feet from an occupied building
- Working closely with four other contractors who are working on large projects in the vicinity
- Construction in downtown San Antonio with busy streets on three sides and companies and other civic buildings.
Other Bexar County Projects